Friday, November 02, 2007

3:10 to Yuma

That's the movie I ended up watching while the wife was out of town. I really liked it. The actors did pretty well on their characters (which is weird for Russel Crowe). I even was feeling for poor Evans (Christian Bale) as I learned more about him. The side characters were even good. It's nice when a film doesn't blow it's wad on one or two actors and then find some bums off the street to fill in the rest (Dragon Heart). I love westerns though, so maybe I'm a little biased, who knows.

Speaking of actors, if you want to add a little comedic sidekick to a movie, I can think of no better than Alan Tudyk (the doctor/veterinarian in this movie) or Steve Zahn.

There was a lot of blood. Blood everywhere all the time. Whether that's good or bad is really up to you though. Why critics take something subjective like this and determine whether it's a good thing or a bad thing is beyond me, but I don't like many film critics.

The story was good. It shows how most of the best stories are short events expanded in detail. It's a remake though, so the original writers should take the credit, not whoever is likely going strike here soon.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt "The Bull" said...

heh,, Ill see your Steve Zahn (best in "that thing you do") and raise you a Justin Bartha. http://justinbartha.net/
these guys are all hillarous though. For me it is very often the sidekick who is nimwitted or the polar opposite "national treasure" that makes the movie for me.

3:35 PM  
Blogger BugHunter said...

The sidekick and the villian are the most important roles to cast right, without a doubt.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Joseph B. Hewitt IV said...

I was just watching old westerns on the Fox Classics channel and, by a very strange coincidence, would you believe that I just got done watching the original "3:10 to Yuma." I never realized it was based on a Elmore Leonard story. I did think it was very similar to High Noon. Which isn't so odd now that I read this on the wiki page:

In Contention, the main characters are joined by three U.S. Marshals. One of the marshals is named Sam Fuller, for film director Samuel Fuller; another is named Harvey Pell, after Sheriff Will Kane's former deputy in High Noon (1952); the third is named Will Doane which had been the original name of character Will Kane in "High Noon" until filmmakers' discovered actress Katy Jurado could not pronounce it.

Be very afraid of the writer's strike though. The last time there was a big writer's strike is when we started getting all these reality TV shows. All the big wigs found out they could make reality shows for less money because they didn't have to pay writers.

9:12 AM  
Blogger BugHunter said...

So, a remake of a remake of a remake?

I don't watch any TV at all. There was an interior decorating decision that placed the TV on the opposite side of the room, than the antenna cable, and I don't have cable TV or a dish. So, I only see writing in movies.

The odd thing I guess, is that I agree with their reason for a strike. They do indeed deserve royalties on DVD and digital distribution. I have nothing against the writers, I just wish hollywood as a whole would completely fall apart. From the ashes would be reborn a new era of film (of the high quality sort).

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home