Thursday, May 01, 2008

FLDS Abuse

FLDS = Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are a splinter group from the LDS church, much like the Baptists are a splinter group from the Catholics...only crazy...er.

If you're unfamiliar with the goings on in TX here's a brief summary:
Woman in Colorado prank calls authorities. She claims to be on the Texas FLDS ranch. She's being abused by her much older husband, who has not been in TX in years. (If that sounds like it doesn't make any sense, then you read it right.)
Authorities rush to the ranch and cart away 400+ children and all of the women.
After a few days, the authorities sends the moms away. The children are imprisoned, because they were being taught religion...which is bad. More specifically, teaching children that if they do not behave, they will go to hell, is considered abuse...who knew.

I'm not saying there isn't some bad stuff going on at the FLDS ranch. I'm sure it isn't the children that are the criminals though.

Now, in an effort to justify holding 400+ children against their will, there are some new allegations. Investigating the medical histories of the children, it has been discovered that some 40ish of them have had broken bones in the past...not currently, just some time in the past. These injuries were tended to away from the ranch, at actual medical facilities. These medical facilities did not report any suspicion of abuse at the time. That's not even the spin part of this.

Forty out of 400 is 10%. We're talking 10% of these children have had broken bones at some time in their lives. During dinner last night the following conversation took place:

"Andrea, how many cousins do you have?"
"I don't know, about 50 I guess."
"No, just the Woody side."
"About 10."
"How many of you broke a bone before you turned 18?"
"Well, I broke a few..."
"No, just the number of children who broke a bone, not the number of bones broken."
"Well, there's me, Kirsten, Matt broke a lot."
"Well, Ryan even lost some fingers."
"Yeah. Probably 5 or 6 of us."

It's clear that the FLDS are being far too protective with their children. Only 10% of them have broken a bone in their lives. That's way below normal. Let the kids run and play for cryin' out sakes!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I totally agree!!! Most of those poor children are being more abused now than I believe they ever have been in their little compound! I can't think what those poor mothers and fathers must be feeling! I don't understand how this can happen in this day and age!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I THOUGHT THEY SAID THAT THE CHILDREN WERE TREATED FOR THEIR BROKEN BONES ON SIGHT, THAT THE FLDS HAVE THEIR OWN DOCTORS AND MEDICAL FACILITIES. DID I HEAR THAT WRONG?
Anyway, yea, take those perverted men away, not the innocent children.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

OK, I know I'm a nerd, but I mean "site", not sight.

12:04 PM  
Blogger BugHunter said...

You're right, there is a doctor that runs a clinic at the ranch. The clinic can handle simple fractures, but it's usually in consultation with an orthopedic doctor in San Angelo.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Lance and Alayna said...

I agree.

On a side note...Is there any way we can call them something besides FLDS? I keep having people ask me about what's going on there thinking that just because I am LDS/Mormon that I have some insider info. I keep telling people that it's not the same thing and that I totally disagree with what goes on there. I realize they are a spin off of the LDS Church, but I just hate people confusing it. I mean, people don't even know the the LDS Church and "The Mormon's" are the same religion. But when they hear FLDS, it seems all they hear is LDS.

I'm just irritated with the whole thing. Thanks for the vent.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Matt "The Bull" said...

I've decided that I am putting mormons and our church leaders on notice; if more people don't speak out against this.
I am glad to see everyone here is on track. but there are many, many mormons that forget a century ago this was us.
Hoping this church gets shut down because it gives us a bad name is the most nieve thing I am hearing some say at church.
good post we need to keep this story fresh, The constitution hangs by a thread while our brothern cower, enjoying mainstream acceptance.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home