Monday, January 28, 2008

Juno

The wife and I took the baby to the grandparents for babysitting, while we went to a movie with friends.

We saw Juno, which is a comedy. Basic plot is that a 16 yr (The actress is actually 20, so it's not as creepy as other films that have happened lately) gets knocked up, decided to give the kid up for adoption.

This thing was absolutely hilarious. The wit contained in the dialog must have gone through countless iterations to come up with stuff that good. Most comedies have really funny trailers. Then, when you watch the movie, you learn that you've already seen all the funny in the trailers and there is no more funny to see. That is exactly not this movie. There is a time at the end of the movie, where things are decidedly not funny. My eyes almost started leaking, but I think that might be in part due to the whole new dad thing, that I hear is going around.

My one little critique on the dialog, is that Juno was given way more sophisticated speech than any 16 yr old really has. They just aren't smart enough (even the geniuses) to come up with the kinds of things Juno said. Sadly, if you fixed this, the movie wouldn't be half as funny.

Also, some of the content of the dialog might not sit real well with some of the people that I know read this brain fart of a blog.

There is only one other film soundtrack that I can think of that I even noticed, and that was O'Brother Where Art Though. In Juno, I caught myself really trying to hear all of the lyrics for the songs. They were actually pertinent to what was going on in the film.

There were a number of things in the film that were...well...squicky (For those familiar with the origination of that term: same feeling, but not the specific screwed up demographic. And what have you been into, to know the origination? hmm? My excuse, is that I'm a geek and have been on these internets longer than you.). If that last bit confused you, I'm not ever going to clarify it for you, but I'll rewrite that first sentence so you aren't left out. There were a number of scenes and situations that left you a little uncomfortable about what was going on. A 16 yr old being pregnant (I'll rant on this, liberals in general, and athiests, some other day). Watching a 16 yr old pee on a prego detector. Watching a 16 yr old's panties fall to the floor (Again, the actress is 20, so back off!). Stuff like that.

You may have noticed that I don't exactly rate movies in my "reviews" (ha, my film class teacher would totally fail these reviews of mine). I like to think that instead of all that crap (like certain hacks we have in Utah), I tell you useful things about the movie and let you decide for yourself.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

You might check this out. I thought about it when you said your eyes almost "leaked."
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/199/5114/

2:51 PM  
Blogger Matt "The Bull" said...

DING-- grats.

Latley I've noticed there is somthing diffrent about you. It seems you've trained up in a few skills. Looks like you picked up "making fun of yourself 2", "express emotion 2", "love 1" and "don't have to be the best 1.2".
Some of us call in maturation. But, to put in terms you understand YOU'VE LEVELED. congrats. I think its great that you can look at your posterity and be fearful for them.
I am curious about this movie but I seriously cry when i watch the carebears with my daughters so.. maybe not. I think Ill take Glenn Beck's stragey and abstain. I dont need convincing that my daughers face a horrible world.
the bull

5:56 PM  
Blogger BugHunter said...

My emotional response to the movie had nothing at all to do with the stuff Glenn Beck was talking about. I don't have a daughter, I have a strapping young boy. :D

It would spoil the ending to explain, but my problem was mostly from what was happening to the characters played by Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman. The situation with Juno made me sad in a "Savanna Smiles" sort of way, not because of her being pregnant. Or the horrible world out there that my own kid will face.

9:04 AM  
Blogger melissa smith said...

EW I LOVE Savannah smiles. I almost left the word verification in my comment. not feeling like a real brainiac today..

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home