Thursday, November 15, 2007

Friends of Scouting

You need to have read the article linked to in my previous post before continuing.

Teenage boys in general are not the most pleasant creatures on the planet. Most of them are selfish, disrespectful, unappreciative, rude, etc., etc.. There are exceptions of course. I myself was an exceptionaly good/obedient teenager. I know a couple of teenage boys that are decent kids as well. On the whole though, they are best to be avoided if at all possible, until they grow up and start acting like the adults they believe themselves to be.

For a couple of years I was the Young Men's President in my ward (local church). What this means to those who aren't LDS (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) is that I was in charge of all of the teaching and organization of the boys 12-18 yrs old in an area about half a square mile. This includes sunday school lessons on Sunday, boy scouts, service projects, and other youth responsibilities. During that time I had between 3 and 5 other adults under me to help with this, all of which is completely volunteer. Not that we asked for this opportunity, but that we weren't being paid for it. In some cases expenses came out of my own pocket, so as not to burden the local church or the boy's families with things like gas money.

As I alluded to, I did not ask to be in the position I was in. Quite the contrary. When Andrea and I first moved in, the bishopric (3 UNPAID leaders of the ward comprised of a Bishop and 2 counselors that donate an insane amount of time to helping others and keeping things running, being a bishop is known to be on the same level has having a full time job in itself) came by the house to welcome us into the area. During the discussion they asked us about past callings, and if there are any callings we'd like. A "calling" is basically a church assignment, like bishop, sunday school teacher, or music director. I mentioned that I will, under no circumstances, have anything at all to do with the young men. I do not like them, they are an unwashed annoying bunch (I did not know these particular young men in the area yet, but they are pretty much all the same).

A few months later I was asked to speak to the bishopric before church, where they asked me if I would be the Young Men's President. Unfortunately for me I tend to be responsible, available, and obedient. Sucks to be me, I end up in charge of about 10 rat-bastard kids and 2-3 good boys.

So for a couple of years I toil, doing things I don't want to do, for kids who don't like having a disciplinarian around, and don't appreciate much of anything done for them (plus a couple of good boys). Time, effort, and patience. No pay. We're talking not just me, but a few other adult leaders as well (like "Scout Masta T"). A lot of this is put toward the scouting program. A program that did nothing for me growing up (thanks to the other rat-bastard kids my age). I'm no longer the Young Men's President, thank goodness. I'm now just the weblos leader, ward chorister, music chairman, and choir director. Same amount of time, fewer jerks to deal with.

So, when I find out there is some pretentious weasel who is getting paid $200,000 a year to work a measly 60 hours a week to do what I, and many others, are volunteering to do, in addition to our full time (or more) jobs, I get a little bent.

The boy scout executives can kiss my ass. I'll not donate to the BSA again (a non-profit organization, funded by donations!). If money is needed for the boy scouts to go on a camping trip, that's fine. Send them over to my house, with some work gloves (the garage needs new shingles for starters) and I'll make sure there is enough money for their activities.

Friends of Scouting. HAH! not me.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, Java finally irritated you so much, that you took time out of your busy day to vent about scouts. While it's nothing I haven't heard before, I did enjoy this post more than most. Your baby count down is still a load of crap.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Matt "The Bull" said...

I have more to say about this but the jest is,,, your dilusional becuase you live somewhere, where humans arn't paid. This guy makes a normal salary but it sounds rediculous to you because he is not settling for "mormon pay".

8:53 PM  
Blogger BugHunter said...

Matt, that's only part of it (which is true). The other part is that there are several people paid quite a bit in scouting (the national leader takes home $1 mil), and it's paid by donations from people like me who are volunteering to do the grunt work of the organization. DONATIONS from VOLUNTEERS!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Matt "The Bull" said...

yeah, thats not right. yeah if friends of scoouting is going to salalries. that aint right.. you remember T. terry ? oj's inlaw,,he works for the bsa. too and is paid.

2:13 PM  
Blogger April said...

I'm with you on this one...although from being the co-den leader of the "WOLF PACK" or whatever, I can correct you, you are the WeBeLos leader which I know now is "we be loyal scouts"! I hear a....round of applause coming!!! Sweet nibblets, what are we doing? I have the yellow shirt and everything. This is a sickness. Being a scout leader in the church is sort of where the rubber meets the road...you do because you believe and thank goodness for that.

12:38 AM  
Blogger April said...

Also, in case I fail to mention it, your baby is due on my Bug's birthday...he/she couldn't have chosen a better time to make it into the world!

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm no friend of Scouting. I figure I already donated enough having Masta T out every freakin holiday putting up flags. Buy your own people.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Scouting can be a good thing for the right kids and can make a difference. But when you put a price on it like that it just seems far too much money to be putting into a volunteer organization.

What would happen if NOBODY was being paid? Would the organization run more efficient or less?

Wow, what a chunk of change...but there is no way I could do that for a living. Eeeek.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home