Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Verizon Wireless disaster part 3

The third installation in the telling of the huge mistake I made in switching to Verizon Wireless.

Our flight lands in Florida and we catch a shuttle to the car rental place. We sign all the paperwork and pick up the car, inspecting it in the dark because it is late at night. I begin downloading the vzNavigator (A Verizon Wireless GPS navigation system) 30 day demo onto my phone. The download takes less than 5 minutes to complete (I get charged for every last minute rounded up). I punch in the address to the house we'll be staying at and the phone starts providing audible directions. There is also a little map with an arrow pointing the way to go. I'm thinking this is freaking awesome. We won't have to bother with finding street maps and stopping every 2 blocks to ask for directions.
For most of the trip to the house we are instructed to take main freeways. Near the end we are directed into a little subdivision. I'm thinking we're getting close when suddenly I'm facing a dead end. The street just stops. I'm seeing barricades accross my path, then a 5 foot wide mound of grass (Its obvious to me that the street has been a dead end for quite some time, but I no longer think that Verizon would really care about stuff like that.) between me and the road I'm supposed to turn left on. Oh goodie, the map hasn't been updated in a few years in seems, how useful is that?
I U-turn to try to find my own way to that road. Every time I take a path that is not part of the vzNavigator prescribed course, it re-downloads a course correction map for me (costing me more air time and probably roaming since I'm in Florida). After getting tired of hearing it telling me to go back to the dead end a few times I turn the crazy thing off.
After several minutes I eventually find my way to the street I needed to be on and turned the phone's navigator back on. Following it's directions we make it the rest of the way to the house where we wake up the rest of my family so they will unlock the door to let us in.
I used vzNavigator a couple other times on the trip. I used it to find Disney World the first day. One day we were lost on the way back to the house, so we used it to get us back on course, shutting it off again once we were directed toward the dead end street.

I wonder why calling someone who is "In" doesn't cost me, but when calling Verizon Wireless themselves, they stick it to me? Oh I know, it's because my standard of ethics and integrity is way above theirs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home