Tuesday, October 11, 2005

What's in a name?

I guess now that I have a blog, I might as well use it.

Wondering about the name? PTSoft? It's a short story I promise.

My wife is a Physical Therapy (PT) student. For a class project her group decided to make some software to help PTs communicate with spanish speaking patients. PTs as well as drug pushers (MDs) need to give instructions to their patients, like "stand up", "sit down", you know stuff like that. So they decided for their group project to make something simple to help with that. The software end of their plan is where I came in. For a couple of evenings I created a simple little application called Gringo Lingo (TM). The PT group gathered all of the content, like the english phrases, the spanish translations, spanish audio clips, and pictures.

All of the software I've ever written have been used only within the corporations I've worked for. So, distributed software was a little new, but it wasn't that big of a deal to create an install package. The basic install wizard from Visual Studio 2003 can use the company's name to help with directory structure and updates. Pretty obvious from there what happened I think. For those of you a little slow on the uptake, the company I made up was PTSoft as in Physical Therapy Software.

Why did I name the blog this? Well I was pretty darn sure it wasn't taken, which met all of my very strict requirements.

So to answer the original question: What's in a name? In this case, not much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home